Pyritinol is a supplement that is created by combining 2 Pyridoxine (vitamin B6) compounds which is regarded as one of the most important vitamins for brain function. It is essential for production of the neurotransmitters Dopamine, Serotonin, Glutamate, and Epinephrine, all of which are involved in out ability to focus, remember, and fell pleasure. Depending upon the country, it is used as both a prescription and over-the-counter drug. People have been experimenting with it as a nootropic in the U.S. since the 1990s. Several countries support its usage for treating cognitive impairment associated with dementia. Other studies have shown that it improves reaction time and that it may even help reduce hangovers.Also, it is believed to carry some minor adverse effects such as nausea and headaches.
Pyritinol is categorized under Metabolic Enhancers.
It is also known as Pyrithioxine, Encephabol Brand Name.
Also KnownPyrithioxine, Encephabol Brand Name
DescriptionPyritinol is a supplement that is created by combining 2 Pyridoxine (vitamin B6) compounds which is regarded as one of the most important vitamins for brain function. It is essential for production of the neurotransmitters Dopamine, Serotonin, Glutamate, and Epinephrine, all of which are involved in out ability to focus, remember, and fell pleasure. Depending upon the country, it is used as both a prescription and over-the-counter drug. People have been experimenting with it as a nootropic in the U.S. since the 1990s. Several countries support its usage for treating cognitive impairment associated with dementia. Other studies have shown that it improves reaction time and that it may even help reduce hangovers.Also, it is believed to carry some minor adverse effects such as nausea and headaches.
Some reported mild effects include allergic reactions when taking Pyritinol, irritability, diarrhea, suppressed appetite, fatigue and difficulty in falling alseep.
Pyritinol Review: What is Pyritinol?
Pyritinol, the Anti-Hangover Stimulant
Being regarded as a Central Nervous System stimulant, Pyritinol is also well-known to be a good remedy for hangovers as well as being a brain booster. It has been one of the oldest nootropics still being used today and is one of the widely researched compounds. Some of the known Pyritinol benefits and uses include being an effective treatment to Alzheimer’s disease, ADHD, and other diseases involving age-related decline in mental function. (4)
Pyritinol has been approved and recommended for the treatment of chronically impaired brain function in the United States and in many European countries. Generally, it is sold with the brand name Encephabol. However in some countries like India, Pyritinol is sold under Renervol and Ence.
Understanding Pyritinol and its Mechanism of Action
1. Pyritinol and Choline After ingestion and absorption of Pyritinol, it then crosses the blood-brain barrier making it available to the central nervous system. There, it acts by increasing the uptake of choline in the neurons. Because of this, the acetylcholine level increases since it is a precursor to choline. This important neurotransmitter is very essential for cerebral health and proper cognitive function specifically learning, memory, and reasoning. Moreover, it serves to have its health benefits by aiding in the recovery and repair of damaged cholinergic neurons. (1)
2. Pyritinol and Dopamine Pyritinol is known to be a precursor to Dopamine, the neurotransmitter responsible for an individual’s mood. Pyritinol has a better conversion to the chemical and it increases the dopamine levels in the brain. And because of the increased levels of this neurotransmitter, pleasurable feelings will be experienced allowing the user to be more motivated and focused as well as not being anxious by responding to stress more effectively. With low levels of Dopamine in the brain, it can be associated with mood disorders and depression. So, supplementing Pyritinol may also greatly benefit those who are mildly depressed due to this mechanism of action. (1)
3. Effects on Alcohol metabolism and Hangovers Pyritinol has been popularly known to be an effective anti-hangover pill since it affects the metabolism of alcohol. And how does this drug do such thing? It is because it has prostaglandin inhibitory effects which then results in the prevention of methanol and formaldehyde induced inflammation. Moreover, according to a 2005 study published in the British Medical Journal, Pyritinol reduces the inflammation on the cerebrum. This then gives an instant relief and can lessen the typical post-alcohol drinking headache. It can also keep the brain cells healthier resulting to fewer neuron damage and early cell death. (3)
4. Inflammation and the Immune System Researches have found that Pyritinol serves to stimulate neutrophil function and can cause an increase in neutrophil cGMP levels. Because of this mechanism, reports have claimed that Pyritinol reduces symptoms associated with Rheumatoid Arthritis, an autoimmune inflammatory disease. (3) Moreover, the use of Pyritinol powder is associated with an enhanced movement and sustainability of neutrophils and act as the primary defenders against infection. Also, Pyritinol helps the neutrophils for their migration to the areas where they are needed the most as well as prolonging their self-destruction process. (4)
5. Enhance cognitive function Basically with Pyritinol, there would be an increased glucose utilization and cGMP levels in the brain. This is because glucose can now easily pass the blood-brain barrier more effectively. And since glucose is the major source of energy of the brain, there will be an improvement in cognitive function such as better decision making, concentration, impulse control, and even preventing the occurrence of brain fog. (1)
6. Antioxidative properties Pyritinol possesses antioxidative properties in such a way that it protects the brain from free radicals. These free radicals may cause damage to the neurons, protein, and even the DNA. Because of this mechanism, it also aids in the prevention and treatment of hangovers. (1)
7. Increase in Norepinephrine levels With the administration of Pyritinol, one of the body’s responses would be to have an increase in Norepinephrine levels. This is attributed by Pyritinol enhancing the activity of the locus coeruleus, the part of the brain responsible for regulating stress reactions and for the synthesis of Norepinephrine. With this, the individual may have an enhanced response to stress and there will be an overall sense of well-being and a decrease in anxiety levels. (1)
With regards to the long term effects of Pyritinol administration and daily supplementation, users have reported a greater and clearer mentality as well as faster and more efficient memory formation and recall. This then leads to an overall enhanced brain power as well as an improvement in brain health.
Pyritinol in the Research Field One study has shown that Pyritinol does really have a positive impact among individuals suffering from cognitive problems. The study involved individuals suffering from senile dementia and multi-infarct dementia and were assigned into the placebo or Pyritinol treatment group. Results have shown that the subjects who received the actual Pyritinol treatment had improvements in their cognitive function and that Pyritinol could be of great benefit to populations like these. (4)
This is just one of the studies that has proven Pyritinol to be a possible treatment for conditions involving impaired cognitive function as well as a general cognitive enhancement drug to healthy individuals. This study may also serve as a foundation for further clinical studies involving Pyritinol and other related drugs.
How do I use Pyritinol?
1. Proper Pyritinol dosage and frequency It is imperative for any drug or supplement to be taken at the right amount and frequency for it to produce the desired effects while possibly eliminating or minimizing the undesired ones. As for Pyritinol, how much of it do we really need daily? Generally, experts recommend a Pyritinol dose of 300 mg to 600 mg daily. This dose is then divided and taken into 2 or 3 administrations. However, we should take note that each individual may have different doses according to their preferences and on how their bodies react to the drug. It would be important to start with the lowest dose possible when starting any medication. Also, it would be best to contact your healthcare provider first for proper Pyritinol administration since dosage may greatly depend on the individual’s condition and health status.
Moreover, another important note to consider is that the usual cycle of taking Pyritinol is two weeks and then discontinuing intake for at least one week. In this way, tolerance to the drug may be prevented and this will ensure that the benefits will still be experienced upon using Pyritinol. (2)
2. Stacking Pyritinol Stacking different supplements has been a popular practice nowadays. This is because stacking has been proven to synergize the effects of each drug thus, yielding more positive results as well as eliminating or reducing the possible adverse effects that each drug may provide. Because Pyritinol acts to increase the uptake of Choline in neurons, stack in it with Choline supplements may be very beneficial. This will aid in a consistent and quality supply of Choline needed for proper cognitive functioning. Other good sources of Cholinergics include Centrophenoxine, Alpha GPC, Citicoline, and among many others. Moreover in order to enhance Pyritinol’s cognitive effects, it may also be stacked with any nootropic from the Racetam family. An example of which would be Pramiracetam. With Pyritinol and Pramiracetam at hand, they will synergize each other’s effects thus yielding a more powerful and potent nootropic. This will then aid and sustain your tasks requiring intense cognitive function.
Moreover, we should take note that in stacking supplements, we should have a thorough understanding of every drug that you wanted to stack since other drugs might not go well with others. Stacking is used based on your own personal preferences and your cognitive as well as physical and emotional needs.
3. Pyritinol administration Pyritinol is a semi-water soluble substance meaning to say, it can be taken after food has been consumed or even on an empty stomach. The administration of Pyritinol even with the presence of food will not alter the digestion and absorption of Pyritinol.
Where can I buy Pyritinol?
At the present, Pyritinol can easily be purchase online and there has been a number of quality sources where you can get it from. It is sold over the counter meaning to say, a prescription from your doctor will not be needed anymore for you to purchase one. Pyritinol Hydrocholride powder is legal in most countries and the generic ones are far cheaper that the non-generic Pyritinol capsules and tablets. Also, it is possible for you to purchase this supplement in a liquid form for those prefer that kind of administration. For those of you who are not familiar as to where you could get your Pyritinol supplement, you might want to consider sites such as Amazon.com and PowderCity. (4)