L-Theanine belongs to the anxiolytic group of drugs, producing a state of relaxation while maintaining mental alertness. Moreover, this supplement is known to increase overall cognition and can improve your mood. It easily crosses the blood-brain barrier and when combined with caffeine, it can actually increase your IQ. Research has discovered that it increases alpha brain waves, associated with relaxation and learning. In rat studies, it has been shown to have neuroprotective properties.
L-Theanine is categorized under Dopaminergics.
It is also known as Suntheanine, TheaKalm.
Also KnownSuntheanine, TheaKalm
DescriptionL-Theanine belongs to the anxiolytic group of drugs, producing a state of relaxation while maintaining mental alertness. Moreover, this supplement is known to increase overall cognition and can improve your mood. It easily crosses the blood-brain barrier and when combined with caffeine, it can actually increase your IQ. Research has discovered that it increases alpha brain waves, associated with relaxation and learning. In rat studies, it has been shown to have neuroprotective properties.
Some common side effects associated with the use of L-Theanine include headache, dizziness and gastrointestinal symptoms.
L-Theanine Review: What is L-Theanine?
You might be very familiar with tea, may it be Green, Matcha, Yohimbine among others and may have wondered what it is in tea that helps you feel relaxed while being focused... This well-rested state of mind and anxiolytic property is brought on by L-Theanine, a naturally occurring amino acid in green tea leaves. It has shown to be a promising nootropic used as a study aid and a general mood enhancer. Even though it is regarded to be a nonessential amino acid and is non vital to support human life, it still poses to have important benefits for the human brain. Aside from tea leaves, it is also present in Xerocomus badius, a species of mushroom.
What Does L-Theanine Do?
Once absorbed L-Theanine easily crosses the blood brain barrier and instantly gives you a feeling of calmness. Wondering how L-Theanine does this?
1. Promotes Relaxation The relaxation effect brought about by L-Theanine may be attributed to a number of factors. First, being a form of L-Glutamic acid, L-Theanine helps to increase the alpha brain waves which are directly responsible for the feeling of calmness yet having an awake state of mind. Secondly, L-Theanine affects certain neurotransmitters including GABA (GABA is one of the inhibitory neurotransmitters in our central nervous system). When L-Theanine increases the GABA levels in our brain, there is a calming feeling followed by a reduction in anxiety levels. (1)
2. Better Mood Aside from L-Theanine's influence on the GABAminergic system, it is also associated with the neurotransmitter Serotonin. Serotonin is responsible for an individual's mood as well as sleeping and memory functions (3).
3. Improved Brain Health L-Theanine also plays a role in one's overall brain health. This is due to the fact that it has anti-oxidant and neuroprotective properties. It supports healthy brain function as well as prevents toxins and other damaging compounds that may affect the brain. Moreover, it benefits the cardiovascular system by decreasing the risk of stroke. This is because it reduces blood pressure levels and helps open up blood vessels. (3)
1. Proper L-Theanine dosage - The recommended dose for L-Theanine is between 100mg to 200mg a day. It is usually taken in combination with Caffeine with an L-Theanine-Caffeine ratio of 2:1. Meaning, if you take L-Theanine at 200mg, a dose of 100 mg of Caffeine may be administered. However, some individuals prefer taking only L- Theanine and they work just fine without the presence of Caffeine. (2) It would be best to take L-Theanine in the morning to kick start your day and avoid taking it later during the day to not interfere with your sleep schedule.
Results may be experienced approximately an hour after ingestion and the half-life of L-Theanine is around 2.5 to 4.5 hours. (2) When starting any new supplement, it would be best to start off with the lowest possible effective dose and tracking how your body reacts.
2. Stacking L-Theanine - This is done for the purpose of maximizing a compounds potential and in order to yield more positive effects, or to eliminate side effects. A popular choice for most individuals who want a quick step up in their cognitive and physical performance would be the L-Theanine and Caffeine stack (as hinted earlier). Caffeine is undeniably one of the most popular and commonly used stimulants today. It can be found in high amounts in Coffee (obviously) and Tea, as well as in sodas and chocolate. With L-Theanine and Caffeine working together, they potentiate each other and serve to enhance their effects, giving you a clearer and sharper mind. And not only that, L-Theanine serves to minimize the side effects that caffeine may bring about. This includes jitters, anxiety, nervousness, and even disturbances in sleep. This stack is beneficial to students and professionals who need a perfect study or work aid without the anxiety or jitters. (2)
3. Potent Versions of L-Theanine - You can consider trying Suntheanine, from their website: Suntheanine stimulates activity in the brain known as alpha waves, which are associated with a relaxed but alert mental state. Suntheanine is the trade name for Taiyo’s patented pure form of L-theanine. Suntheanine is not an extract of green tea, but rather is produced via a patented fermentation process that mimics the natural process in green tea leaves, resulting in a 100% pure L-isomer-theanine." If you would like to try this, click here.
L-Theanine is extremely safe to use and is in fact, approved by the Food and Drug Administration. There have been no reported L-Theanine side effects, however some reviews online state that diarrhea may be encountered with very high dosages of L-Theanine. On the other hand, it is not advisable to take L-Theanine with anti-hypertensive medications since it may lead to a significantly low blood pressure. It is still recommended to consult your doctor or healthcare provider first before starting off with any drugs and supplements. (1)
Where To Buy L-Theanine Online?
It is available over the counter as a supplement so you may get it from stores like GNC, CVS, or Amazon if you are in the United States. However, we recommend buying it from a reputable store online, which has had right dose and quality. We recommend buying it from here, in capsule form, tablets and free form powder. Since L-Theanine is a water-soluble nootropic, you can easily mix and drink it with water or other beverages such as coffee. Additionally, you may want to consider buying Caffeine + L-Theanine in capsule form and our recommendation is to buy it for cheap from here.
(3) http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/232248.php BUY L-THEANINE NOW