Adrafinil or Omlifon is a precursor drug to Modafinil, which means adrafinil is metabolized in the liver to produce modafinil. Both are stimulants with no amphetamine-like effects. Adrafinil is considered to be eugeroic and is particularly effective for increasing daytime wakefulness and alertness as well as having positive impact on your mood, energy, motivation, and reaction time. This is due to the fact that Adrafinil increases Hypocretin level leading to an increased production of neurotransmitters like Dopamine, Histamine, and Norepinephrine. All of which are involved in promoting general alertness and wakefulness. Also, Adrafinil prevents the breakdown of Dopamine which improves mood, regulates sleep and reduces stress. It is the most common alternative to taking Modafinil (or Provigil) because the price of the branded drug is up to $4.31/per pill at cheaper pharmacies.
Adrafinil is categorized under Eugeroics.
It is also known as Olmifon, CRL-40028.
Also KnownOlmifon, CRL-40028
DescriptionAdrafinil or Omlifon is a precursor drug to Modafinil, which means adrafinil is metabolized in the liver to produce modafinil. Both are stimulants with no amphetamine-like effects. Adrafinil is considered to be eugeroic and is particularly effective for increasing daytime wakefulness and alertness as well as having positive impact on your mood, energy, motivation, and reaction time. This is due to the fact that Adrafinil increases Hypocretin level leading to an increased production of neurotransmitters like Dopamine, Histamine, and Norepinephrine. All of which are involved in promoting general alertness and wakefulness. Also, Adrafinil prevents the breakdown of Dopamine which improves mood, regulates sleep and reduces stress. It is the most common alternative to taking Modafinil (or Provigil) because the price of the branded drug is up to $4.31/per pill at cheaper pharmacies.
Some associated side effects include headaches, dizziness, nausea, and stomach discomfort. Since Adrafinil is metabolized in the liver, there have been documented adverse reactions pertaining to liver function when Adrafinil is used for a longer duration. Adrafinil does not currently have FDA approval and is thus unregulated and legal to purchase in the United States & many other countries. Milk Thistle is recommended as a way to counter-act liver damage based on anecdotal evidence.
Adrafinil Review: What is Adrafinil?
Pronounced as "Add-Raf-In-Ill", is known as being a powerful wakefulness promoting agent, it also serves to increase energy and reduce fatigue, reduce brain fog, while improving cognitive function, concentration, and memory. Sounds like the perfect little tool for programmers, students, military or anyone that needs that needs a few extra hours in the day to just get things done. Originally developed for those suffering from narcolepsy (day time sleepyness), sleep apnea, and shiftwork disorders, somnolence, it is now used by many because of the benefits and affordability it offers. Maintain focused cognitive performance to work and study for long hours without worrying about getting drowsy while maintaining their efficiency and quality of work.
Although the exact mechanism of action is still not fully understood, it is believed that it acts on the adrenergic system, the part of the nervous system that releases adrenaline. After being synthesized and converted into Modafinil in the liver, it works by being an adrenergic receptor agonist. It serves to increase levels of hypocretin, the neurotransmitter responsible for Adrafinil’s wakefulness-promoting property. Because of this, there would also be an increase in the levels of Dopamine, Norepinephrine and Histamine. These neurotransmitters are then responsible for Adrafinil’s energy boosting and stimulant properties.
On the other hand, Adrafinil also inhibits the breakdown of Dopamine and Glutamine thus, there is an improvement in cognitive performance, enhanced communication between neurons, enhanced mood, and a reduction in stress levels. Moreover, it has also been found that Adrafinil increases Serotonin, the neurotransmitter responsible associated with sleep. Because of this, there would be improvements in an individual’s sleep patterns as well as having an improved ability to respond to stress (sounds like it really does everything doesn't it?) (3)
Adrafinil in the Research Field
Many studies have been conducted regarding Adrafinil supplementation and its potential effects on human health. Although most studies were conducted using Modafinil due to the fact that it is a widely prescribed drug, its effects are nearly identical to Adrafinil. This is because Adrafinil acts as a prodrug to Modafinil. Below is a summary of some key studies conducted with Adrafinil and Modafinil.
1. In 2013, a study was conducted to dispute the claim that Modafinil only acts on sleep-deprived individuals and those suffering from Narcolepsy. So, this study involved healthy subjects who are not sleep-deprived and were divided into two groups- one group received placebo treatment while the other group received Modafinil treatment with a dose of 200 mg. They were asked to complete tasks designed to measure creativity, memory, and problem solving abilities. At the end of the study, the results showed that even in healthy non-sleep deprived individuals, Modafinil serves its effects. There was an improvement in memory ad learning skills and showed that subjects who received Modafinil treatment enjoyed the activities even more (3).
Study Summary: Even those that do not have illness' such as day time sleeping disorders or those that are sleep deprived saw a positive effect in cognition and reduction in brain-fog after taking modafinil.
2. "A novel study of screening and confirmation of modafinil, adrafinil and their metabolite modafinilic acid under EI-GC-MS and ESI-LC-MS-MS ionization" (link) was conducted. The aim of this study was to explore the possibility of differentiating adrafinil and modafinil and their major metabolites under electron impact ionization in gas chromatograph–mass spectrometer (GC-MSD) and electrospray ionization in liquid chromatograph–mass spectrometer (LC-MS/MS) by studying the fragmentation pattern of these drugs. This was because both Adrafinil and Moadfinil became controversial in the athletic world since they were allegedly used as doping agents. However in the end, the study proved that the pharmacological properties of modafinil and adrafinil are similar to amphetamine. But, the difference lies in that these eugoroic drugs do not have the side effects that amphetamine-like stimulants may produce (2).
Study Summary: Modafinil does not have the side effects that amphetamines have and Adrafinil/Modafinil are very similar in how they break down in the body. Side note: Amphetamine like stimulants could come in pills or tablets and include: Vyvanse, Ritalin SR, Adderall XR, Concerta, Dexedrin, Focalin, Daytrana, Metadate CD/ER, Quillivant, Evekeo, ProCentra, Zenzedi to name a few. However Adrafinil itself is commonly found online in bulk powder form and costs much less than in pill form.
As mentioned, Adrafinil works by acting as a pro-drug to Modafinil. It increases the concentrations of Modafinil in the body and the liver converts Adrafinil to Modafinil. But how do the two drugs differ from each other? Both of them produce the same effects such as: an improved day-time alertness, motivation, mood, and energy levels but unlike other stimulants, Adrafinil and Modafinil do not produce side effects like anxiousness, irritability, and nervousness. Because of this, the two eurgoic drugs are a good option to consider. (1)
Although Adrafinil and Modafinil appear to be structurally similar, they pose their difference by the way the body processes them. Modafinil is being processed mainly in the liver though metabolic activity and with the help of the enzyme CYP or Cytochrome P450. On the other hand, Adrafinil is changed into Modafinil in the liver. In order for Adrafinil to be efficiently and correctly converted (in vivo) into Modafinil, it should rely greatly on metabolic processes. Because of this, Adrafinil requires the greater use of the enzyme Cytochrome P450. (1)
Since Modafinil does not need to be converted in the liver, it requires a lower dose compared to Adrafinil to reach its optimal effect. It has been recommended that Adrafinil dosage may be at 600mg-1200mg daily and in contrast to that, Modafinil will require a much lower dosage of 100mg-200mg daily. Consider starting your first dose at a lower amount to avoid any side effects or interactions with other supplements or medications you may be taking. (1)
Lastly, the speed and rate at which the liver can convert Adrafinil into Modafinil depends on two factors. First, it is based on the users metabolic rate and secondly, the health and efficiency of their liver (don't drink and pop!). Because of this, you may notice that two people may respond in a different manner when administered with Adrafinil of the same dose despite having the same age and gender. (1)
How should I take Adrafinil and When?
1. Proper Frequency & Dosage It is imperative for any drug or supplement to be taken at the right time (including frequency) and amount to produce the desired effects while possibly eliminating or minimizing the undesired ones. As for Adrafinil, how much of it do we really need? And how often should we take it? Experts generally recommend Adrafinil be taken at a dose around 100 mg to 300 mg daily (an hour or so before you need it to "kick in") and should not exceed a 600 mg dose. Everyone's biology is different, for example the nerds of Silicon Valley have reported that it takes three hours for Adrafinil to take effect and therefore waking up at 4am and dosing on it and going back to bed, works out perfectly for when they wake up again at 7am.
Generally, it would be best to take Adrafinil upon waking in the morning on an empty stomach and the obvious worst time is to take it before bed. If possible, wait for about an hour before eating a meal for maximum absorption, you should consider taking it down with slightly warm water. However if you consume it qith a liquid like milk with fat, it may be absorbed even better. Eating may decrease the effectiveness of the drug but increases the likelihood of nausea or upset stomach (though unlikely for most). On the other hand, it is not recommended to take Adrafinil later during the day or in the evening since it may cause insomnia due to its half-life.
Remember: If your adrafinil is not capsuled and you mix it in water and it doesn't dissolve easily, you do not have real Adrafinil.
It is generally recommended that *afinils be taken daily only for a 2-week durations (cycle length). This is because an extended use of Adrafinil can change the levels of certain liver enzymes that may lead to some health complications and side effects. However in general, before starting any medication, it would be best to consult your healthcare provider first for proper Adrafinil dosage and further health concerns and discussions. It is recommended to start off with the lowest possible dose.
By the way, the half life is claimed to be that of 1 hour but is much longer as it takes time to convert to modafinil and generally the amount of drug remaining in the body is 50%; after two half-lives, the amount is 25%, and so it's effects can still be felt for a bit longer.
2. Stacking Adrafinil (with Noopept, Coffee, Phenibut, Kratom, or even Weed) Stacking supplements can maximize a drug’s potential, yielding more positive effects by synergistically providing the best results from different items. Stacking can also eliminate or minimize the side effects that the drugs may provide. In the case of Adrafinil, it is best stacked with other nootropics such as those of the Racetam family, like Pramiracetam or the more potent Noopept. They make a great combination since Adrafinil will give you cognitive energy as well as it helps you stay you awake for a long duration of time. On the other hand, Pramiracetam/Noopept would supply the cognitive boost and enhancement needed for your brain to store and output data more thoroughly. Noopept is a powerful nootropic that increases an individual’s learning capacity, improve memory, reduce brain fog and learning skills. Coffee (caffeine more specifically) works differently in everyone, users have reported that it gives them heart palpitations, increased blood pressure and thus should be avoided while others have claimed a mild amount may increase alertness thus taking Adrafinils effects to a higher level. It really depends on your dose and personal biology, our rule of thumb is, whenever unsure, go without! Many users have combined Adrafinil with Phenibut, Kratom and Marijuana for social purposes, whereas the effects of the mind altering chemicals is there without the crash afterwards, we don't recommend mixing a synthetic drug made for productivity with recreational drugs as it defeats the purpose and because Adrafinil in itself does not provide any sort of high or buzz.
In fact Adrafinil may cause dizziness in some and thus it is advised not to consume alcohol while on it, in hopes of using it to sober up, it doesn't work. Also it is worth nothing that Adrafinil is not addictive and it can be stopped without needing to taper down unlike other ADHD/ADD medication listed above. However, the makers of Modafinil do claim that it can be addictive for people with an addictive personality/history of drug abuse (could be said to protect against any future liability?). Lastly to learn more about other people's experiences in a more quantitive way (outside of reddit, bluelight or erowid) use our stackLogs as part of people's stacks, check our Adrafinil stacks below and then click the one that tickles your fancy and read their journal or ask a question.
3. Consuming Adrafinil (Before & After) There are a few that think anything can be smoked, please do not try smoking adrafinil or snorting it as this will cause irritation to your nasal passage and smoking it will destroy the ingredient. Feel free to mix it in water if in powder form, or better yet take it as a shot with your favorite juice. Make sure you follow our recommended dosage outline before you consume it and make sure you do not intend on sleeping for up to 12 hours. It is possible but unpleasent, and don't think Melatonin+Zinc+Magnesium stack will come save you here :)
After you have consumed Adrafinil, there are a two things you should be aware of, one is if you feel like you have a headache coming on, it could be one of two things: you are dehydrated (Adrafinil can cause this) and b) you may be low on choline, so make sure you one and see if the headache persists and if so then try choline. If it still lasts, try taking less Adrafinil next time around. Secondly keep in mind Adrafinil like Modafinil will supress your appetite (bonus! no need to eat and you can get more work done) but make sure you eat at your regular timing as this will give your body the energy it needs to remain in 'overdrive'.
Hop on over to your nearest pharmacy, Walmart, GNC, Amazon, CVS, or even ebay. Not quite, although legal, few places carry it to avoid any sort of liability and because of a lack of FDA regulation (In USA). After carefully examining different sources (Absorb Health, Ceretropic, and others). We generally only recommend AbsorbHealth's Adrafinil. In Britain, the purchase of Adrafinil is considered lawful only for personal use and is not a regulated substance. However in the United States, Adrafinil is considered to be a legal, non-prescription drug as an alternative to Modafinil. Most people in other European countries and Canada find a generic pharmacy that carries it and get it shipped in from places like India--this can be fine if you are buying a prescription drug, but when it comes to powder or a not-so-popular pill avoid places like Alibaba or AliExpress if you are buying in bulk. You want to make sure you remain bulletproof for your exam, and not take chances, order from a reliable supplier. Use our link here to get a discount (if applicable) applied automatically. (1)
Non Responders: If you feel like it just is not working for you may want to try a higher dose (megadose, within safe limits), try branded Modafinil (like Provigil, or Modalert), try Armodafinil. Try different times and ways of increasing increasing absorption as mentioned above. If none of the above works, you can move on to another supplement. Some people belive this drug will turn them into Bradley Cooper from the movie Limitless after consuming NZT48, it won't but it may just be the closest thing there is, it could also just be that you are already be at peak performance and the drug isn't making a big difference. The effects are subtle at first, but near the end, you will notice you are not falling a sleep, you are focused and you have the motivation to keep going. Of course this also means your diet is on track, you exercise, and are generally healthy and consuming Adrafinil as a way to supplement your existing lifestyle.
For Atheletes: It is a banned substance as determined by the World Anti-Doping Agency. It will show up on a drug test. It does give you a mental edge which will help you perform better at sports or help with bodybuilding/exercising. Some stack it with ephederine for weight loss purposes, but that is another article in itself and in the mainstream media a very dangerous thing to try or do, that's if you can even obtain ephederine legally.