Acetylcarnitine, also known as ALCAR or Acetyl L-Carnitine, is a form of L-carnitine that is produced within the body naturally. It is sold as a dietary supplement and has been known to cross the blood-brain barrier. It primarily increases the production of the important neurotransmitter Acetylcholine thus, improving memory and learning. Moreover, it has been suggested to improve cognition among those with dementia and may have neuroprotective properties among individuals with Parkinson's disease. In studies with rodents, it has been found to significantly reduce neurotoxicity and possibly prevent substances from killing brain cells.
AcetylCarnitine is categorized under Metabolic Enhancers.
It is also known as ALC, L-Acetyl-Carnitine, ALCAR, L-Carnitine, L-Carnitine-L-Tartrate, LCLT, Glycine Propionyl-L-Carnitine, GPLC, Levocarnitine, Levacecarnine, L-3-hydroxytrimethylamminobutanoate.
DescriptionAcetylcarnitine, also known as ALCAR or Acetyl L-Carnitine, is a form of L-carnitine that is produced within the body naturally. It is sold as a dietary supplement and has been known to cross the blood-brain barrier. It primarily increases the production of the important neurotransmitter Acetylcholine thus, improving memory and learning. Moreover, it has been suggested to improve cognition among those with dementia and may have neuroprotective properties among individuals with Parkinson's disease. In studies with rodents, it has been found to significantly reduce neurotoxicity and possibly prevent substances from killing brain cells.
Mild effects associated with Acetylcarnitine usage include headaches, stomach upset, diarrhea, and nausea.
AcetylCarnitine Review: What is AcetylCarnitine?
Also known as ALCAR, Acetyl-L-Carnitine is considered to be one of the powerful nootropics at the present time. It is a modified version of Carnitine however, serves to have a higher bioavailability thus yielding better and faster results. It does not only enhance one’s cognition but also, promotes a healthy brain as well as an improved mood and increased energy levels. Although it is powerful when used alone, using it in a stack will yield greater and more promising results. ALCAR is an excellent study aid for students who want a significant step up in their cognitive functions.
What are the benefits of Acetyl-L-Carnitine and it's mechanism of action?
After absorption of ALCAR in our intestines, it easily passes through the blood-brain barrier making it readily available in our system. And from there on, how does it act to deliver its benefits? Let us now know how ALCAR works and why such benefits are produced.
1. ALCAR for enhanced cognition Upon entering the central nervous system, ALCAR acts by being a precursor to Acetylcholine. The acetyl component of ALCAR is responsible for the production of Acetylcholine or AcH. This important neurotransmitter is responsible for an individual’s memory, learning and attention. When Acetylcholine levels are high, as in the case of ALCAR’s stimulation, the individual may experience a significant step up in his/her cognitive functions. This includes an increased learning capacity, more efficient memory formation, faster speed of recall, and improved attention and focus. Because of this, ALCAR makes an excellent study aid helping students prepare for an upcoming exam or a big event that requires maximal mental performance.
2. ALCAR as an antioxidant and neuroprotectant Not only is ALCAR known for its cognitive benefits but it is also important for the overall health of our brain. This is because ALCAR acts as an antioxidant. It prevents toxins and harmful chemicals that may damage our brain. More specifically, it reduces the elements that may cause oxidative stress thus, maintaining a healthy and functioning brain. And because of this mechanism, communication between neurons is also enhanced. On the other hand, ALCAR also serves to have neuroprotective properties. It keeps the nerves healthy and functioning efficiently. Thus, preventing and reducing nerve pain brought about by a varity of factors.
3. ALCAR for improved motivation It has been found that ALCAR also influences Dopamine. And as we all know, Dopamine is the neurotransmitter responsible for memory and learning, mood, sleep, attention, and many others (3). Through the stimulation of Dopamine levels, the individual may experience an improvement in his/her cognitive function as well as an improved mood, attention and focus, and a better quality of sleep. (1) With these enhancements, there will surely be an increase in one’s productivity levels.
4. ALCAR and the myelin sheath ALCAR also serves to positively influence the health of the body’s myelin. Myelin refers to the white substance surrounding the nerve fibers, and is often referred to as the myelin sheath. This myelin is very important both in our central nervous system and in the peripheral nervous system because it increases the speed at which the electrical impulses are carried along the nerve fibers (4). In the central nervous system, the myelin is being referred to as the Oligodendrocytes while in the peripheral nervous system, it is being referred to as the Schwann cells. Because of ALCAR’s positive influence towards the health of the myelin sheath, there will be improvement and maintenance on how impulses are transported. There will be a more efficient and faster communication between neurons. As a result of this mechanism, better transmission of impulses is achieved and there will be an overall enhanced cognition. Moreover, myelination also plays a role in the repair of damaged axons and can stimulate their regrowth. Because of this, it may be useful in the treatment in some conditions such as Multiple Sclerosis- a demyelinating disease, Alzheimer’s disease, depression, and among many others.
5. ALCAR for energy It has also been shown that ALCAR is responsible for our body’s energy metabolism. It does not only boost cognitive function but also, boosts a person’s energy levels. As a result, this leaves the user feeling more motivated, and will have the endurance to do both mental and physical activities. (1)
How can I maximize the effects of Acetyl-L-Carnitine?
1. Proper Acetyl-L-Carnitine dosage and frequency
It is very crucial for any drug or supplement to be taken at the right amount and frequency for it to produce the desired effects while possibly eliminating or minimizing the undesired ones. With the case of Acetyl-L-Carnitine, how much of it do we really need each day? The recommended dosage of ALCAR is between 500 mg to 1500 mg daily. This may be taken in a single administration or may be divided and taken into multiple administrations within the day. (1)
When starting with any new drug or supplement, it would be best to start off with the lowest possible dose to see how you respond and then gradually increasing it over time. You might also want to consider consulting your doctor or healthcare provider first since a person’s condition and health status may play a role.
2. Stacking Acetyl-L-Carnitine
Stacking has been a popular practice nowadays. This is done for the purpose of maximizing a drug’s potential and also, in order to yield more positive effects, to synergize each other, or to eliminate or minimize the side effects that the drugs may provide. With the case of Acetyl-L-Carnitine, what drugs and supplements are best to use in conjunction to it? Because ALCAR stimulates an increase in the neurotransmitter Acetylcholine, the addition of a cholinergic will be a great option. An example of which will be Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Alpha GPC stack. With the presence of a Cholinergic, there will be a constant and sustained supply of quality Choline needed by the brain. With the two supplements working hand in hand, they will synergize and potentiate each other’s effects thus, yielding a powerful stack and a more enhanced cognitive function will be experienced. Aside from Alpha GPC, other good sources of choline include Citicoline, Centrophenoxine, and among many others.
Aside from the natural nootropics, you may also want to stack ALCAR with other very potent nootropics to achieve faster and more powerful cognitive benefits. Examples of which may include Noopept, Adrafinil, Pramiracetam, and among many others.
Having a thorough understanding of the drugs you wanted to have in a stack is important because some drugs might not go well with the others. Stacking supplements greatly depends on your needs and personal preferences however, it would be best to consult your doctor or healthcare provider first.
Acetyl-L-Carnitine Safety and Side Effects
The use of ALCAR is generally considered to be safe and is highly tolerated. However, there have been reported mild side effects of ALCAR. This includes headaches, vomiting, rashes, and body odour. Headaches may easily be eliminated with an addition of good Choline source.
You can purchase Acetyl-L-Carnitine online. It is readily available in capsule or powder form and can be purchased over the counter. Meaning to say, you will not need any prescription from your doctor in order to buy one. Buy Acetyl-L-Carnitine now and immediately experience a significant boost in your cognitive performance.